Week 4- The 5E's of Science Instruction
We learned the 5 E's in science instruction
This week during the lab we learned about the 5E model of instruction and the five steps that go along with it. The five steps are- engage, explore, explain, elaborate, and evaluate. I liked that we got to present to each other because everyone had a different explanation of the 5Es.
For example, the first one is engage.
Engage- Accesses the learners’ prior knowledge and helps them with a new concept through short activities that build on their prior knowledge. These activities should promote curiosity and help them make connections between past and present learning experiences.
I can apply this in my science lesson to ensure that all my students are actively participant in the learning process. Not only that but to get them excited to learn science.
Update:
I was surprised to see that only half of our seeds grew, unfortunately, the back two units didn't grow. My question is why did that happen if we did the same thing to all of them? Are they late bloomers?


Thank you for your post! I agree that hearing each group explain the 5E's helped me to understand each segment. Your table does a great job explaining what teachers and students will be doing during a lesson. My group's plants look similar. Do you think that only some percentage of seeds are expected to grow or was it something we did when we set them up?
ReplyDeleteHi Olga!
ReplyDeleteMy partner and I had the same struggle with our plant, except we didn't have anything sprouting at first, so we had to add a lot more water! You did a great job at explaining an example of the 5E model.