Week 8

 

Week 8:


What I learned this week?

This week, we learned about the four types of mutations: 

Deletion- is a mutation in which a section of DNA is lost, or deleted.

Insertion- is a mutation in which extra base pairs are inserted into a new place in the DNA.

Substation- is a mutation that exchanges one base for another.

Rearrangement- is a mutation caused by the crossing over of bases.

Are you able to relate what you learned to what you already knew?

I already knew that having an extra chromosome can make a person have Down Syndrome but didn't know anything beyond that statement. Now I know it is a random error in cell division that results in the presence of an extra copy of chromosome 21.

What are new or remaining questions?

What is the likelihood of someone being born with an extra chromosome? Are there any factors that can increase the chances? 



Plant Update: My table partner and I never got the chance to see our plant fully bloom. It now is dead but I am glad we got to see the plant's cycle. 







Comments

  1. Hey Olga, I like your description of the different types of mutations and the picture you used!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 9

Week 13

Week 8