Week 12 : Climate Change
Elementary Science II
Week 12: November 11th- November 15th
What did you do in the lab this week/ What was the big question:
We went over the documentary, Before The Flood. I already knew that the United States is the most wasteful country but when they gave the statistics that 1 person in the US wastes as much as 9 people in India. It also shocked me how far companies are willing to go to prove that climate change isn't happening or that their business isn't adding to the problem. They pay for researchers to publish articles that disclaim anything about climate change. But this documentary proves that we need to change now, and it won't affect us in our lifetime but it will for future generations. I want to be taught now to make sure we teach this throughout the year not just as a unit then forget about it. Because science is always limited how can we incorporate this into all the other science topics.
Then we got asked the question " If you have a cup of ice with water, what will happen in 12 hours? Will the water level stay the same? " I was still kind of confused after talking about this because I didn't get a clear answer. But I think that because of the principle of displacement, the total water level will stay the same. I think about when I have an iced coffee, my cup doesn't fill up anymore just because the ice melts.
Then we got to look at images of the effects of climate change all our the world. We looked at how much green is on the land, does the body of water changes, and what we see less of. And went over a couple questions from our formative assessment.
In groups, we investigated two sections of Iowa and 6 cities about the number of days it rains and what heavy rain means. My group got to the section with UNI and Kirkwood, the data below shows the trend of rain in each city. Based on the calculations both areas of Iowa have increased rain.
What did you learn in Thursday's lecture?
We took our exam on earth science.
Answer questions about weekly textbook readings:
1. What did you learn? I didn't know that there was a difference between climate change and weathering because both of them are processes that occur in the environment. Climate change refers to the long-term changes in the average weather patterns on Earth. Well, weathering refers to the short-term atmospheric conditions in the area. The textbook gave a great way to remember it, weathering is NOW and climate change is USUALLY.
It was also interesting to learn how Iowa will be affected because there is always talk about states like Florida and California but states in the Midwest. Iowa is and will increasingly have more weather changes like higher temperatures and increase in floods. As the textbook says the wet years get wetter and the dry years get dryer.
2. What was most helpful? It was helpful to do the formative assessment before reading and then after reading, I was able to talk it again to see what I learned and what I need more work on.
3. What do you need more information on? I want information on how this will impact Iowa, I think this could be a great lesson to teach to students. That way they know how this will directly impact them.
4. What questions do you have? No questions about the reading
Comments
Post a Comment