Week 14
Elementary Science II
Week 14: December 2 - December 6
What did you do in the lab this week/ What was the big question:
( I was absent from class)
In lab, we started by talking about our elder's interview. I chose to interview my mom and found that many people in the Mexican community don't know about climate change. My mom knows it's getting hotter in summer and that winter is getting colder. But never taught about climate change.
How has global warming work? The earth's atmosphere contains gases like carbon dioxide, methane, and N2O that trap heat from the sun. This natural process is called the greenhouse effect. Without it, our planet would be too cold to support life as we know it.
What did you learn in Thursday's lecture?
I learned that the three big factors impacting climate change are solar radiation (sun), volcano activity, and human impact. I learned about the Albedo Effect, which is a measure of how sunlight a surface reflects back into space. It is expressed as a percentage: a high albedo means a surface is highly reflective, while a low albedo means it absorbs more sunlight. Students already have experience with this and as teachers, we can create an experiment. You can place a ice on a white shirt and a black shirt. Students can study how fast the ice melts.
Answer questions about weekly textbook readings:
1. What did you learn? In chapter 23, I learned that the ice-melting will mess up the ocean cycle, but adding more cold water. This will negatively affect the plant and living creatures in aquatic ecosystems which affects marine-based economic industries, such as fishing. This is something that is slowly happening but has big effects.
2. What was most helpful? It was helpful to watch the videos and visuals.
3. What do you need more information on? Nothing, I feel good about this week's content.
4. What questions do you have? No questions
Comments
Post a Comment